Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Tacoma Needs Love- Michael Johnson

Anyone who has Instagram or really any social media account will understand what I’m about to share....

About a month ago I went on Instagram, like any other hour of my day checking my notifications haha per usual I had a message notification and went to it... it was a comment on my story from someone who I’ve been following for awhile now, someone who I double tapped every photo posted, may have even commented on a few....haha So I did what any normal girl would do, screamed and jumped around!!!! I showed Anthony who has no social media accounts what so ever and had no clue what I was even showing him...haha he doesn’t get it.  

So...

I wrote back and I’m glad I did. Yet again the blog has opened doors or opportunities, ones I couldn’t even imagine a few months ago.  


Let me introduce to you local Tacoma Photographer Michael Johnson ... he has an eye for capturing beauty in anything he points and shoots at.   

1. Lets start off with why so much love for Tacoma?

Well I was born here and its just home to me. Tacoma gets a bad rap from our neighbors to the north. Oddly enough it is now them that are coming down here and buying all the locals out of housing options. Now they finally realize how cool Tacoma is and figure by gentrifying all of the neighborhoods then it will be a livable place for them. Aside from that some of the best people I know are from here, and Tacomas diversity is part of what molded them into awesome individuals. That also reflects in the art that is created here which often times reflects an adoration for the city. I love the fact that you can get lost in a forest, put your toes in some sand, and admire modest sky scrapers in one city.  


2. How did you get into photography?

Music lead to my interest in photography. I used to be in a band and always appreciated the cool pictures some of our friends would take of us, as well as other bands pictures I saw. Also getting my own place gave me some motivation to take some photos. When you get a place you naturally want to decorate it. IKEA and Burlington do have some nice pictures to hang on the wall but its all hotel art and has no connection to me. I wanted to take pictures that I could hang on our walls and know they have a meaning to us, as well as reflect my personality. 

3. What inspires you?

My family. And telling me I cant do something. I want my kids to experience all the cool things I got to experience as a kid and didn't appreciate until I was older. In 1st grade we hopped in our Vanagon and drove across the county. I want to do that with my family. Maybe sans vanagon because they are wild expensive but in some type of car. I wan't to create those memories with my family because beyond toys a kid never forgets adventures like that. That being said my parents took me to Disneyland when I was like 2 and I didn't remember shit... so that doesn't count.  


4. Favorite Tacoma location to shoot?...and photo!

I love hidden beach in Titlow. Great sunsets, beach, bridge, quiet, close! Easy to go there with the family and snap a few pictures. I don't think I have a favorite Tacoma photo but I do love the daytime long exposure I took from the Convention center of downtown Tacoma. and any pictures of or at the Murray Morgan Bridge

5. What do you want your viewers to take from your work?

How I see things around here and abroad. You can find a little personality in the way people edit their pictures... maybe some of that can leak through. 

6. Your dream place to photograph...?

Yellowknife

7. One question nobody has ever asked you about your photography?

Why do you do it?

If you know me, once I saw the answer to the last question I immediately wrote back asking why...
-I do it because it's peacful and provides an artistic outlet that I no longer get from music. There is an awesome feeling that comes from making a normal scene turn into something magical as well.-


Michael doesn’t just take photos of beautiful cities he also takes portrait photos go check out his work on his Instagram pages you will feel inspired and fall in love with cities you have or have not visited.


Look Out For The Next Postcard From The PNW 

Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Northwest Til Death

One of my favorite things to do no matter what city I’m in is go to local boutiques/shops. I love checking out local artist/merchant mercha...